SignFlow’s secure multi-document portal, Portfolios, offers businesses a reliable means of complying with stringent regulations.
There are two well-known and much-publicised Acts that make South African businesses shudder in their shoes – the Financial Intelligence Centre Act (FICA) of 2001 and the Protection of Personal Information (POPI) Act of 2013.
The two pieces of legislation have much in common. To begin with, they both have to do with how your business deals with customer identification and verification processes, and how it stores and maintains customer and transactional records. Secondly, there are severe penalties associated with non-compliance – severe enough, in many cases, to cause irreparable reputational and financial damage.
Third of all – and this is the good news – SignFlow can help you comply with both. Our digital signature workflow solution offers you an efficient and sure-fire means of making sure your business processes and IT systems are up to scratch when it comes to compliance with both these Acts – so you need no longer shy away from the dreaded “F-word” and “P-word”.
FICA and POPI compliance largely comes down to how you transmit, maintain and store customer data and, while the sheer volume and variety of data may make the process seem very complicated, SignFlow’s Portfolios feature offers you a surprisingly simple means of tackling it.
A SignFlow Portfolio is basically a portal where you can accumulate multiple documents that have been through a workflow and signed, in combination with documents that are just uploaded and stored.
Because there is no email (which is inherently insecure) involved and all documents are uploaded through a secure, encrypted channel, to an online portal where they can only be accessed by the individuals authorised to access them, Portfolios is an invaluable tool to have in your arsenal when you are striving for FICA and/or POPI compliance.
Let’s take an insurance company, for example:
- The company requires identification and proof of residence documents (documents required by FICA that both also have a bearing on POPI) from a client.
- That same client needs to sign a contract, which contains personal and financial information, and send it back to the company.
- SignFlow Portfolios enables you and your client to upload and share documents (both signed and unsigned) via an encrypted portal.
- There is no emailing, printing or scanning of documents involved at any stage.
- All your client’s information is kept neatly in one designated, easy-to-access and searchable databank.
Given that the implementation date for the POPI Act is expected to be set this year – and in light of the FICA failures* we have seen in the past, you are under more pressure than ever before to make sure your business complies. Contact SignFlow today for more information on how we can ease the pressure and give you total peace of mind.
* In April 2014, the South African Reserve Bank fined the country’s four largest banks R125 million collectively for failing to comply with FICA. (www.sanews.gov.za)
Filed under: Blogs, pbDigital, PBSA, SignFlow Tagged: digital signatures, FICA, FICA Compliant, Financial Intelligence Centre Act, POPI, POPI Act, POPI Compliance, Portfolios, Protection of Personal Information Act, SignFlow, South African Reserve Bank
Source: SignFlow News